Hunter Writers Centre
Strategic Plan 2014 - 2017
Hunter Writers Centre is a not-for-profit, incorporated organisation committed to developing and supporting the artistic and professional development of aspiring, emerging and established writers in the Hunter region.
Collaborative, inclusive, dynamic, nurturing, educational and professional.
1. To be an excellent regional writers centre with a national perspective.
2. To promote and support the artistic and professional development of aspiring, emerging and established writers in the Hunter region.
3. To seek input from members of the Hunter Writers Centre and the wider community for the development of literary activities.
4. To cultivate, support and sustain an inclusive, thriving literary community for all cultures and abilities.
5. To inspire a passion for literature in Hunter communities.
6. To meet member and stakeholder expectations through accountability, transparency, disclosure and continuous improvement.
7. To grow the Hunter Writers Centre through its membership, funding and social profile.
1. Introduce, develop and celebrate the craft of writing by offering a broad spectrum of opportunities and activities for aspiring, emerging and established writers in a safe and supportive environment.
2. Provide opportunities for writers to share writing publicly with a wide audience in a variety of forums.
3. Provide mentoring opportunities for writers to gain experience, refine technique and share knowledge with other writers.
4. Build, collaborate and consult with other groups and organisations to share ideas and create opportunities for the literary community.
5. Engage in new media and technologies with the aim of being at the forefront of contemporary literary culture.
6. Provide opportunities for outstanding regional writers to have national recognition.
7. Ensure Hunter Writers Centre programs are excellent and meet the needs of the community.
8. Provide access to diverse and dynamic resources and opportunities to assist in the development of literature for all people regardless of ability, background or location.
9. Promote and support activities and resources that bring together readers and writers, including the next generation of readers and writers.
10. Encourage excellence amongst writers of the Hunter region by attracting award-winning authors to share their knowledge, experiences and skills.
11. Engage and sustain a dialogue about evolving forms of literature and writing.
12. Review, establish and maintain governance and operational procedures and policies that support the needs and the integrity of the Hunter Writers Centre.