You have come to the wrong page
to enter the Newcastle Poetry Prize
Click here to read About the Prize
- prize pool, history, past anthologies and much more
Entry Terms and Conditions
By entering a poem the Newcastle Poetry Prize competition, you agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions.
1. Entries close at midnight EST Friday 17th June 2016
2. Your poem must not include your name or any identifying marks. This means any word that the judges can link directly to you. Names of places and/or first names of people are, on the whole, acceptable. Just be sure there are no words that identify you as the poet. Poems featuring your name or identifying marks will be immediately disqualified.
3. Entry is online only. Attach your poem as a .pdf or Word document file via the entry form (left).
4. Entries must be the original work of the applicant and must not be published in any form or currently offered for publication or submitted for any other prize. All authors must provide their own name on the entry form for administrative purposes. If you would prefer your poem to be published under a pseudonym, please note it on the entry form.
5. Entrants may submit more than one poem. There is no limit on number of entries. A separate entry form, and separate entry fee of $34.00 (incl. GST) must accompany each entry.
6. You must acknowledge any quotes from other writers that you use.
7. The line limit is 200 maximum. The 200 line limit includes titles and any sub-headings. There is no minimum.
8. A suite of poems as one entry must clearly be a connected group intended to be read as a whole.
9. Entrants must be Australian citizens or permanent residents. You can reside anywhere in the world.
8. Staff of Hunter Writers Centre and their family members are not eligible to enter the Newcastle Poetry Prize competition.
10. Entrants must be aged over 18 years.
11. The judges' decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into with either the judges, the staff or the board of the Hunter Writers Centre or the University of Newcastle.
12. By entering the Newcastle Poetry Prize, the author gives permission to Hunter Writers Centre to publish his/her poem in the anthology if selected by the judges. The copyright to the poem is always retained by the author. As publisher of the anthology, Hunter Writers Centre will have First Publication Rights to all submitted poems and may use any title or phrase from any entry for the purpose of promoting the competition and the anthology. Any collection or publication subsequent to the Newcastle Poetry Prize that includes the author's poem should acknowledge Hunter Writers Centre.
13. Award winners may be required to participate in media-related events associated with the competition.
14. The local award is open to poets residing in the following LGAs: Lake Macquarie, Newcastle, Maitland, Port Stephens, Cessnock, Great lakes, Singleton, Muswellbrook, Upper Hunter, Dungog and Gloucester Local Government Areas.
15. Members Award: members who won 1st, 2nd or 3rd prize in the Newcastle Poetry Prize in the past are excluded from the HWC members' award.
Thank you to:
© Copyright │
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International license
Contact: email@example.com www.facebook.com/hunterwriterscentre
Disclaimer: The information provided on this website is for use of a general nature only and is not intended to be relied upon as, nor to be a substitute for, specific professional advice. No responsibility for loss occasioned to any persons acting on or refraining from action as a result of any material in this publication will be accepted.