Next step: you must pay for your entry. See instructions below.
Entry Fee: $16.50 (inc. GST)
2016 anthology available from our online shop
Entry Terms and Conditions
By entering a story in the Newcastle Short Story Award, you agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions.
1. Entries close 8pm EST Monday 6th February, 2017
2. Your story must not include your name or any identifying marks. This means any word that the judges can link directly to you. Names of places and/or first names of people are, generally, acceptable. Be sure there are no words that identify you as the author. Stories featuring your name or identifying marks will be immediately disqualified.
3. Entry is online only. Attach your story as a .pdf or Word document (.doc) file via the entry form (left).
4. Entries must be the original work of the applicant and must not be published in any form or currently offered for publication or submitted for any other prize. All authors must provide their own name on the entry form for administrative purposes. If you would prefer your story to be published under a pseudonym, please note it on the entry form.
5. Entrants are welcome to submit more than one story. There is no limit on number of entries. A separate entry form, and separate entry fee of $15.00 (incl. GST) must accompany each entry.
6. You must acknowledge any quotes from other writers that you use.
7. The word limit is 2000 maximum. The word limit includes titles and any sub-headings. There is no minimum.
8. Entrants must be Australian citizens or permanent residents. You can reside anywhere in the world.
9. Staff of Hunter Writers Centre and their family members are not eligible to enter the Newcastle Short Story Award.
10. Entrants must be aged over 18 years.
11. The judges' decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into with either the judges, the staff or the board of the Hunter Writers Centre or the University of Newcastle.
12. By entering the Newcastle Short Story Award, the author gives permission to Hunter Writers Centre to publish his/her work in the anthology if selected by the judges. The copyright to the work is always retained by the author. As publisher of the anthology, Hunter Writers Centre will have First Publication Rights to all submitted works and may use any title or phrase from any entry for the purpose of promoting the competition and the anthology. Any collection or publication subsequent to the Newcastle Short Story Award that includes the author's story should acknowledge Hunter Writers Centre.
13. Prize winners may be required to participate in media-related events associated with the competition.
14. Local Awards are open to writers residing in the Hunter region, defined as: Lake Macquarie, Newcastle, Maitland, Port Stephens, Cessnock, Great lakes, Singleton, Muswellbrook, Upper Hunter, Dungog and Gloucester Local Government Areas.
15. You do not have to be a member of Hunter Writers Centre to enter this competition
16. Once the competition closes, all submissions and payments will be crosschecked. We will only contact you if your payment was not successful or uploading your work was not successful.
Thank you to:
© Copyright │
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International license
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org www.facebook.com/hunterwriterscentre
Disclaimer: The information provided on this website is for use of a general nature only and is not intended to be relied upon as, nor to be a substitute for, specific professional advice. No responsibility for loss occasioned to any persons acting on or refraining from action as a result of any material in this publication will be accepted.